Monday, March 22, 2010

New York State of Mind

This past week provided plenty of adventures with friends in town that have never been to the city before. Naturally, I loved playing tour guide (not) but was happy to do it none the less, plus it would give me an opportunity to prove how awesomely New York I am.

While down in Times Square, my friend asked a random passerby to take our picture. As we’re getting read y to pose, sweet friend asked the photographer to make sure the Eiffel Tower was in the picture. I let out a petty laugh and informed her that we weren’t in France and that we’d actually like to have the Empire State Building in our picture if they could find an angle to fit it in. Duh. The photographer stared at me for a moment and replied that it was actually the Chrysler Building but yes, they could fit it in the photo. Awkward.

So I vowed to myself that not only will that never happen again, but I will also know random facts about the two buildings to look like I know even more than everyone else.

FACT:

1. The Empire State Building was originally designed to be a landing platform for Blimps but was decided against due to the wind blowing through the buildings.
2. In 1979 a woman jumped off the 86th floor of the Empire State Building to kill herself but the wind blew her back into the 85th floor and she only broke her hip.
3. There is a race every year called The Empire State Building Run Up that goes from the ground floor to the 86th floor. The record is currently held at 9 minutes and 33 seconds. (Seriously? That’s nuts..)
4. The gargoyles at the top of the Chrysler building were modeled after the hood ornaments on Chrysler automobiles.
5. The original design for the Chrysler Building featured a 12 story base of glass wrapped corners to give the illusion that the crown on top was floating but proved to be too expensive.

1 comment:

  1. That's not the Chrysler building, that's the Epcot! Silly...

    ReplyDelete